11.24.2010

not enough keys on the keyboard to convey all of my thanks

I am writing this on painkillers, but my heart is not numb.

I am so thankful for quiet love, for the blanket your body can be over mine.
I'm thankful for my amazon woman mom, who fought and kicked cancer's ass over the last seven months, for my thoughtful, gentle dad whose voice is always echoing in my heart, for my strong and capable sister with her eye for appreciation and color and the lines of a story, for my incredible baby brothers who live with so much fearlessness and adventure and whose huge hearts attract the same--for the new sisters they give me.
I am thankful for that reassurance of, 'we'll figure something out.' For mentors and co-conspiritors and friends who make me laugh and pluck me up when I'm reeling off on a flight of worry.
I'm thankful for my ability to laugh easily and often, for my ability to heal.
I am thankful for the excitement of a wedding that is building in me, hotter and hotter. And I am oh so thankful to be able to share and witness the wedding of my dear dear brother taking shape and taking place within the reach of my arms.
I am thankful for the solid feel of the road under the tires of my bike, for the way it feels to coast down the hill to my apartment. I am thankful for the colors of the sky and socks without holes in them. I'm thankful for book carts whose wheels don't squeak and I'm thankful for the industrial strength papercutter.
I am thankful for orchestras and for being invited back again and again to play. I'm thankful for courage and showmanship and that unexpected ability to take a step back and remind the audience that it's not really about who's on stage.
I'm thankful for the meals I've shared around big tables with both of my families and I'm just plain thankful that I have two. I have the family I was born with and I have the family who has chosen me, or allowed me to be chosen. A family who shares diamonds with me and who shares their oldest son. I do know how much of a treasure this is.
I am thankful for thrift stores--oh what would I do without thrift stores?! I am thankful for an ability to be more, with less.
I am thankful for proud cats, and winking cats, and the dog in between.
I am thankful for the certainty, the calm assurance I feel when I look at my future. I see myself and I see love and it's going to fit, and we're going to be partners and each other's backbones. We're going to be meeting each other in all sorts of places for all our lives. I am so thankful that I know this and I trust this.
I am thankful that I have become a woman, and that I have learned how to love as one. I have been taught how to open myself and to believe in my own beauty. I am thankful that I finally see what you do when I look in the mirror--I see a blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment