4.14.2011

beats 2 and 3

I'm playing in a concert this week for a batch of student conductors at the university. I've done this three times? Four? I am always alarmed by how clearly I can see confidence and competence and how obvious is the lack thereof can be. I can line them up on a continuum in my head from Success to... Oh,Well, You Tried. It always makes me think of how grateful I am to music teachers, how lovely it is to be in the hands of a good one, how sometimes effort can be enough. It reminds me of which way beats 2 and 3 fall, and how to follow three leads at once, and I remember how I did this same thing several years ago and one of the student conductors was an odd sort of man-boy who closed his eyes and breathed deeply before the upbeat. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him then and that hasn't changed so far. I didn't even know then how the muscles in his chest tense up in anticipation when he is in beautiful music and how it would feel to rest my head there.

No comments:

Post a Comment