2.04.2010

I

I always pause, momentarily displaced, when someone doesn't remember my name. It just happened a minute ago-- a coworker I rarely run into had me confused with someone else. 'I'm looking for April.' 'That's me!' 'You're not April... wait, are you?' For that quick second I believed her and had to search around inside of me to figure out who I am, then.
No, no wait. I remember now. I am.
I think my self concept is always going to be fluid. It has a habit of shifting--as everyone's does! At least these days I do know that I have a shape, a form, a face. I was in middle school before I believed that I looked the same from day to day, that anyone would be able to close their eyes and picture my face unless I was standing right in front of them.
I'm not wearing my contacts today. Or my glasses. So perhaps that's why I'm feeling less specific than normal--when I look in the mirror I blend inwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment