1.21.2012

thoroughness is dull

I crochet, and I do it wrong, on purpose. I do it wrong for the same reason 14 year old me always refused to switch fingers when playing a single repeated note quickly on the piano, like my (long-suffering) teacher insisted. She was right, I was wrong, and I knew it. But I have a stubborn/lazy streak that makes it impossible for me to accept established wisdom, if I can do it my own way and still get by. This is something I am very, very good at: still getting by. I am not good at following directions, or toeing the line. It has a lot to do with ego and a lot to do with, uh, what's a flattering way to say laziness? I just hate doing things the long way, no matter what. Thoroughness is dull. It means that as soon as I understood the basic concepts of my daily responsibilities at work, I stopped doing them the way I was taught. Shortening steps, starting in the middle, combining three things into one. The bits I lose in details (I tell myself) I more than make up for in speed and innovation. ...I tell myself. So that's why, when I crochet--which is all the time, these days, because I need to feel like I'm still creating and contributing, even when my ass is permanently on the couch--I do NOT do it the way my mom taught me, or the way the books recommend. I hold the hook loosely and rock it back and forth against the wrong finger til a blister forms, then a callus. I am sloppy this way; the tension on my yarn isn't steady. But I am fast. It is my own way of doing things. It's wrong, it's kind of downright destructive, to my hands, anyway, but it's fast. It's personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment