12.11.2009

like a big blanket of happy

My lower half is fine. The long underwear does its trick. But the top half of me hasn't fully fought off the chill of an early morning bike ride in sub-freezing air. I'm not actually complaining—I don't actually mind the challenge and the almost-too-cold fingers that revive again the minute I'm inside the warm library. I have ways of coping with the chilly arms and shoulders that lag behind.

It's been a good week. The wind-down week. The office is slipping into a half hibernation that we will maintain until the middle of next month. It empties. The stacks shrink and stay low. We upgrade and we trim and we plan ahead, a little. My breathing slows, I write long, long rows of words, speeches to myself in my free time. I try to remember where exactly I left off in the book on my windowsill that I last touched back in June. The thing about me is that I often fail to recognize patterns because I can never remember what came before. But in this case, in the case of this week and the next, I do remember. I know this is the way it always is. I know I felt just so last year at this time and will again.

I am still thinking about warm. I am feeling, aside from the outside of me, wholly so. I almost lifted out of my seat twice last night while I listened to my brother and the rest of the choir sing and once I almost did when I was playing along. I will always say yes. It fills me up. Not to mention the warmth I felt in the after, in the arms, in the ability to help, in the way the warm pink coat got me home and back and home again. I am flooded with joy when I hear news of engagements and look forward to helping, to being right there. And I can nearly choke on the affection I feel for my family, for the warm house on the hill that's becoming a home, for the odd, sacred, unplannable fellowship of four that makes me the luckiest one. They are my best quality.

I can't get this better than how it is: I am exactly where I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment