7.10.2011

grinnning

I kept grinning last night until I could feel the muscles ache in my cheeks. Do I not smile enough day to day? Remind me to grin more often. Or I guess, find people to grin around more often. I need to stay in practice.
I was at a sweet, simple little wedding yesterday. I could not contain myself whenever the new couple kissed or when their heads touched. Or when the gentle bride rubbed cake into her groom's cheeks. I am beginning to understand how good this all is.
Even though it was already my bedtime as I was leaving the reception, I didn't go straight home. I took a three hour detour to the place downtown where S's band was playing. He'd been gone for ten days. Ten days! And now he was home and at home on the stage with that horn in his hands. I perched at a table near the front with some friends of his and, damn. No matter how many times I hear his band play through a set of funky soul music, I still react--my body still picks up the beat and I yell out during the applause. I am so proud of the way he moves up there. He kept playing right to me. His buddy told me he's so much more fun to watch perform when I'm in the audience and this makes me glad. Again I couldn't contain my grin.
I drove him home after the last set, both of us exhausted. And we kissed and kissed on the back step and I kept thanking him for finally coming back home and he was thanking me for being here waiting. It is hard for me to loosen my arms from around his middle these days. Harder. I'm glad there are only 83 more days of reluctant late night drives.

No comments:

Post a Comment