1.27.2011

not bettering myself

I'm going into work late today--still the snow. Trying to decide whether or not to take a shower first. I sort of feel I ought to because geez, woman, shouldn't you at least do one thing good for yourself in 24 hours? I mean, I have been in this bed for about 16 hours now, and joining me have been lots of dry Cheerios and frosting straight from the can. That, and reading back through some of my old journals. I was getting into 2004 last night. And I kept reading, 'I am just feeling a sense of NEED all the time these days. You know exactly what I mean.' And I don't know anymore. I am so quick to become a stranger to myself. But the stranger self of seven (really?!) years ago did entertain me, and did less of the making me sad than my journals from that era usually do. I read about a snow day about this time of year back then, and how I spent the entire day in the dorm room of my then-and-still-should-be-but-isn't best friend, working on a 2000 piece jigsaw puzzle, ordering pizza, watching Life is Beautiful, camping out on the floor to tell stories and secrets and keeping the door open. I am positive that the first few months of 2004 were the first time in my life I left the word 'lonely' out of my self-description, and I'm very grateful for that.
Oh, this snow. I'll skip the shower. But I'll average out by walking to work in my boots instead of digging out my car and inching through the poorly plowed streets. I'd so much rather be inching through poorly plowed streets on foot, with my (frustrating, but momentarily functional) mp3 player and the warm, fuzzy scarf from my brother wrapped around my neck two or three times.
I should have used this unscheduled break to better myself, but I did not. So perhaps I'll so some push-ups on my way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment