6.23.2010

very home

I'm never more proud to be who I am when I'm the daughter of a woman who sat through three hours of chemo today and yet just a few hours later is smiling and watching soccer and beating me at card games.

The fireflies of the world are loving this new summer. As I drove home tonight the dark green of the twilit fields was glowing, all these thousands blinking out their codes. I see you. One smashed onto my windshield as I coasted down the biggest hill. It left a glowing schmear in the middle of my vision. An exclamation point.

I'm pleased. I found a wonderful pair of shoes at the thrift store. I had cucumber and melon and pork for dinner. I get to be the one to lace up the back of a dear bride's gown. The neighborhood I live in looks very home in this light. I am, as a body, going to get stronger, and I am, as a soul, continually loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment