5.25.2010

blessed limitation

I'm glad today to be up to my elbows in scholarly articles whose titles I can't even begin to understand. Cyanogenesis in Acacia subgenus Aculeiferum. Formal and Systematic Operations as Observed in a "Piagetian" Balance-Beam Task Series. Cross-cultural applications of Yodai mnemonics. It is such a relief to me that I lack the ability to comprehend everything that comes across my desk. It's like the way I feel when I hear an unfamiliar language, like Russian, maybe, or Chinese, being spoken. It is fluid, sonorous, and so unfamiliar to me that it skips right over bewildering and lands at beautiful. I don't have enough power to differentiate fragments of meaning, so it's a whole. And there's so much relief in coming into contact with an unfamiliar whole, especially on a day like today when, besides my mind, all the muscles in me are uptight and aching.

No comments:

Post a Comment