3.04.2010

the up, the down, and the sideways

I got a wonderful Christmas present in the mail today. You know how you never mind the three month delay when you get a package you haven't been waiting for? I feel blessed.

I have been playing my oboe for... I am counting... sixteen years. This is why it is UNacceptable that I cracked a reed on my tooth at a rehearsal Tuesday evening. From stern to aft. I have never been what you might call a professional in bearing or demeanor or preparedness. So I scrambled to find another and rubbed my eyes and sighed. That was not the best day.

Neither was yesterday, but I did solve that all with an evening with my family. On the ride home I said to my sister and my brother, 'I like you guys.' I wonder why I don't tell them so all the time.

Today. Well, I was handed a list of 217 things to do and I was handed a stack an inch thick of material that should never be my responsibility, but somehow is. There is only so much I can accomplish with seven hours. But someone stopped me in the hall and said to me, 'you have gotten so skinny! I barely recognize you--you must have lost 40 pounds!' I didn't correct her to say sixty. But I did blush and grin and thank her and when I walked away a minute later I felt better than I had all morning.

I have another rehearsal in an hour. I will try to keep all of my parts in tact this time, and I admit that I am looking forward to getting a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment